Notre Dame Academy
Notre Dame Academy is a minority Christian School administered by the Patna Notre Dame Sisters' Society. Nestled in the lap of the beautiful surroundings of the hills of Jamalpur and situated near the oldest railway workshop of India, the school was established in 1950 by six Notre Dame American religious missionaries at the request of the then district administration. It is one of the oldest pioneering English-medium educational institutions in the district of Munger.
This institution opens its doors to students from all castes and creeds, rich and poor alike. From its very inception, the school has made every effort to impart a value-based education that will mould the girls and boys into persons who will make a positive impact on their fellow beings and on society.
An overview of the history of Notre Dame Academy, Jamalpur, shows that during the past decades, the Academy has taken giant strides with the collaborative efforts of devoted Principals, staff, parents, and well -wishers. Starting out on February 2, 1950 with a small number of about sixteen children, the school is now home to around 2,000 students in a little town that is "far from the madding crowd".
As the Academy marches ahead to new heights of excellence, we keep our focus on the motto of the school
Notre Dame Academy strives to keep alive the legacy of St. Julie Billiart, her Spiritual Mother, filled with faith in God and a burning desire to work for the transformation of society. St. Julie was born on July 12, 1751 into a middle-class family in Cuvilly, France. As a child she was healthy, intelligent, sensible, and hard-working. During her teenage years misfortune struck the family. The Billiarts were reduced to poverty. Julie's faith in the good God gave her the courage to work hard and earn a living for her family. Julie was seen as an enemy of the French Revolution because of her teaching and the support she gave to priests. She had to go into hiding to escape from being guillotined. Her health became fragile and gradually her whole body was paralysed.
For twenty-three years Julie remained a victim of paralysis but she continued to instruct and counsel those who came to her bedside. A group of young women looked up to Julie as their spiritual guide and they became the members of the Congregation of the Sisters of Notre Dame that Julie founded in Namur in 1804. The Sisters committed themselves to sharing their faith in God and working for the education of children who were economically poor, believing that education was the best way to better their lives. After twenty-three years of severe paralysis, Julie was healed miraculously. With her newfound energy, Julie opened several schools in France and Belgium. She was acclaimed not only as an educator,but also as a holy person who manifested God's love and compassion for all people.She died on April 8, 1816.
Sister Mary Aloysia and Sister Mary Ignatia, the founding members of the Sisters of Notre Dame in Coesfeld, Germany in 1850 were greatly inspired by the spirit and charism of St. Julie Billiart. From Germany, the Congregation spread to other parts of the world:Italy, Holland, England, the United States, Brazil, Indonesia, India, Korea, Papua New Guinea, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Mozambique the Philippines, Vietnam, China, Nicaragua, and Peru.
The history of Notre Dame Academy begins with the arrival of six pioneers in Jamalpur on October 31, 1949. They came from Cleveland, Ohio, USA. The names of the pioneers are: Sisters Mary St. Thomas, Magdela, Maris, Joelle, Lauretta, and Kieran. The pioneers began Notre Dame Academy on February 2, 1950, with 16 tiny tots. The classes were conducted in a temporary building in the premises.
The foundation stone for the present school building was laid on July 10, 1952. The construction was made possible by the generous donations the pioneer Sisters received from their students and benefactors in the United States. The building was blessed and dedicated on December 15, 1953 by Rt. Rev. A.F. Wildermuth SJ, Bishop of Patna. and inaugurated by the then chief minister of Bihar, Shree S.K. Sinha. To this day, this first school building stands as a landmark in Jamalpur.
Sister Mary St. Thomas is honoured as the founding principal of Notre Dame Academy. During her tenure of ten years as principal, the Academy developed into a first rate high school preparing students for the Senior Cambridge Examinations. The first batch of students appeared for their Senior Cambridge Examinations in 1956.
An overview of the history shows that during the past decades., the Academy has taken many giant strides with the collaborative efforts of devoted Principals, Sisters, Teachers, Parents and Well-wishers. A Montessori House of children was opened in 1968. An auditorium block was constructed in 1974 that gave a new impetus to co-curricular activities. The school was upgraded in 2001 to Higher Secondary with Plus Two. As the Academy marches ahead to new heights of excellence, we keep our focus on the motto of the school